Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Monday, October 9 (Oh, you wanted us to actually finish?)

I spoke with Jesse about the crown molding remaining in the bedroom. Apparently it wasn't part of the original bid. Though I can't imagine why I would tell Jesse to leave out the two bedrooms, J said that as he recalled it, I didn't ask for the bedrooms to be done, either. Unfortunately, my notes from the meeting with Jesse just say "crown molding in rooms". Since I don't really know if I'm right or not, I'll save fighting with a contractor for another day. Jesse only wanted $100 to do the remaining crown molding anyway, so it wasn't a big deal. We also had some additional work needed (i.e., more $). Lesson learned for next time: figure out what I need in the beginning and write a more detailed list.

I actually have more detailed contracts with my other contractors - Jesse is the one case where I don't have one. Since we know him pretty well and he's working on our other homes, I feel more of a comfort level with him. I probably will still do something more formal on the next home, just to avoid any future issues.

Tomas, the sheetrocker, called today as well. He's completed the sheetrock and wanted to meet for walk-through and payment. I setup an appointment, but since I was in the neighborhood I did a quick check. Everything looks great...except for one closet. Only the top half of the sheetrock has been installed, oddly. Since it wasn't taped/floated, either, I don't think they thought that only the top half needed to be done. I know that's a ridiculous thing to think, but odder things have been said by contractors. I called Tomas and told him everything looked great except for the one closet. I gave him a lame out - "oh, the door must have been shut so it was overlooked". J says I back people into corners often. I don't think I do, but in any case decided to take the nice route on this mistake. Tomas was apologetic and said he'd have it finished before our scheduled appointment. I'm happy with their work - they finished ahead of schedule, cleaned up after themselves, and didn't ask for any additional money.

The painters also started priming the house. They are a little behind schedule, but that's partially due to lack of water. It gives me a few extra days to finalize the interior colors, which I desperately need. I spent another $40 on samples yesterday, blech.

It's amazing - even white primer makes the house look better than the previous color on the house. The contractors put the old stove and refrigerator on the porch to get them out of the way. I'd been hoping someone would steal them (they still work) since we're replacing them anyway, but alas, no such "luck". I'm going to have to up the anty and have them put it on the curb.

No comments: